1. Should I move or rotate my rugs to even wear?
- Rotate your rugs once or twice a year. If part of the rug is under furniture, reposition it. This will ensure all areas of the rug wear evenly and help avoid moth damage.
2. How often should I have my rugs cleaned?
- Have your rugs professionally cleaned when they need it, usually every two or three years, depending on the amount of traffic they receive. Even rugs used as wall hangings need cleaning once in a while to keep the wool from drying out and becoming brittle. If your rug has stains from pets, wine, ink, or the like, tell your professional cleaner about them. We can remove many such stains if we know what caused them.
3. Should I repair my rug when I clean it if it needs it?
- When you clean your rug, repair it as needed at the same time. If a needed repair is neglected, it is likely to worsen, making it more costly in the long run.
4. How much should I spend on cleaning or restoration?
- Before you clean or restore a rug, get at least a verbal appraisal. That information will help you make the decision of how much you should spend on cleaning and restoration.
Document the size, design, and colors of your rug, and keep the documentation with photographs of the rug in a safe place for insurance purposes.
An oriental rug that is properly cared for can last for generations in your family.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us and ask.
Also, if you aren't sure when you last had your rug(s) cleaned, feel free to contact us and we can check our records to see when you last came in for cleaning.